Facebook

Treptow

The observatory of Treptow is still operational, and waits for visitors today as Archenhold Observatory.

It was opened to the public on 1 May 1896 as the Treptow Observatory to coincide with the Great Industrial Exposition of Berlin. Based on Archenhold's design it contained what was then the world's longest telescope, with a focal length of 21 m (69 ft). The Observatory was named after Archenhold at its 50th anniversary in 1946. The telescope was deactivated from 1958–1983 for repairs, and remains functional to this day.

The building of Treptow Observatory can be found on a medal that was made for the 1910 year return of Halley's Comet. The engraver was Ernst Torff. He indicated on the obverse all the perihelion date from transition 240 BC up to 1910, to day precision. Below the Treptow city's (now part of Berlin) observatory, above the starry sky, in the middle the constellation Orion, several other constellations and names of brighter stars are displayed. In the vertical direction the Milky Way, horizontally the comet's orbit is visible among the stars. Over the starry sky we find with very small letters the name of the astronomer who assisted the exact design of the coin: "NACH DR. F. S. ARCHENHOLD" that is Friedrich Simon Archenhold, the founder of Treptow observatory. The observatory is still operating, just under a new name. It is named to Archenhold Observatory after its founder. On the top of the obverse three rows of text is placed: "DAS · ERSCHEINEN · DES HALLEYSCHEN KOMETEN V· JAHRE 240 V. CHR · B · 1910 N . CHR · IN SEINER · SONNENNÄHE"

comet 1910 obreverse

comet 1910 reverse

The reverse of the medal is decorated with a portrait of Edmund Halley. Date of his birth and death on both sides: 1656 - 1742. Legend: "ZUR · ERINNERUNG · A. D. ERSCHEINEN · HALLEYSCHEN · KOMETEN · 1910 · U. Z. FÖRDERUNG · WISSENSCHAFTLICHER · ARBEITEN · DER · TREPTOW : STERNWARTE * HALLEY · BESIEGTE DIE · KOMETENFURCHT *". The medal was made of both 30 mm and 60 mm diameter.